Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Baked Eggplant Fries

So this past weekend I dragged Brian to the Coventry Farmer's Market with our friends. I had a great time but he didn't care for it at all. Though he did care for these eggplant fries I made from the eggplant I had bought. :) I served these as an appetizer and then we ate the homemade garlic and parsley linguini I also picked up from the market. I mixed it with a pesto sauce and sliced chicken. Kept it pretty simple!

Ingredients:

  • 10 oz eggplant
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
  • 1/2 cup Italian Seasoned breadcrumbs
  • 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
  • 1 large egg white
  • oil spray 
  • 1 cup marinara sauce for dipping (extra points)
 Try to cut them all the same size so they cook evenly.
Sorry I forgot to take a picture before they were almost gone!

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 450°. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and lightly spray with oil.

Cut ends off the eggplant. Slice eggplant in half, then into 1/4 inch thick slices. Lay each slice on the cutting board and cut into 1/4 inch strips.

Mix breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese in a bowl, and egg whites in another.

Take a few strips of eggplant at a time and dip them into the egg whites, then into the breadcrumbs. Using a fork, remove eggplant from crumbs and place on the baking sheets. Spray with more oil and bake 10 minutes in the middle rack.

Turn over and bake an additional 5 minutes, or until golden. Serve hot.

After dinner we cut up this sweet pink watermelon which was another good buy from the market. We ate this juicy dessert while watching the movie The Dark Night. Which I tried very hard to stay awake for but that was unsuccessful! Clearly it wasn't a movie I picked to watch. ;)
Run update- I ran 4 miles yesterday, I will be running 4 miles tomorrow, and then 6.5 miles on Saturday or Sunday.

10 weeks until the Hartford Half Marathon!


Eggplant fries adapted from skinnytaste

No comments:

Post a Comment