Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Summer comes to an end...

Well hello there! :) It's been quite awhile since my last post! I had to take a break from blogging because I had a week off from nannying and I was sooo busy enjoying the last few weeks of August. I couldn't have had a better ending to my summer. I had a family reunion and then took a mini vacation with Brian, spending 5 days in Cape Cod and 2 days in Vermont! We both haven't had a week off in years so we truly enjoyed it. We had gorgeous weather and spent practically everyday at the beach. I also ate healthy anything I wanted the whole vacation and I made sure to drink plenty of H2O twisted tea's and margarita's as well. ;)

 Getting a little twisted...
My reading partner <3
Killington, VT



Here's a few recipe's I've been meaning to share that were quite the hit at my family reunion! Especially this delicious concoction...

Sangria:



Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup brandy
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1/3 cup frozen lemonade concentrate
  • 1/3 cup orange juice
  • 1 (750 milliliter) bottle dry red wine
  • 1/2 cup triple sec
  • 1 lemon, sliced into rounds
  • 1 orange, sliced into rounds
  • 1 lime, sliced into rounds
  • 8 maraschino cherries
  • 2 cups carbonated water (optional)...I forgot to put this in my batch!
 
  1. In a large pitcher or bowl, mix together the brandy, lemon juice, lemonade concentrate, orange juice, red wine, triple sec, and sugar. Float slices of lemon, orange and lime, and maraschino cherries in the mixture. Refrigerate overnight for best flavor. For a fizzy sangria, add club soda just before serving. adapted from Allrecipes 
 

Creamy Avocado Dip:

 Ingredients:

1/2 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt (I use Chobani)
2 ripe avocados, peeled and seeded
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon finely chopped seeded jalapeño pepper
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
Pita chips, tortilla chips, cut up veggies-for serving

Directions:

1. Place the yogurt, avocados, garlic, cilantro, jalapeño, lime juice, and cumin in a blender or food processor. Mix until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
2. Scrape dip into a serving bowl and serve with pita chips, tortilla chips, or cut up veggies.
 
 adapted from twopeasandtheirpod

Mozzarella Basil Tomato Skewers:

Ingredients:

  • 16 bamboo skewers
  • 48 grape tomatoes
  • 48 small basil leaves
  • 1 lb fresh mozzarella, cut into 32 1-inch cubes
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp balsamic
  • Salt and Freshly cracked black pepper

Directions:

In a small bowl, combine olive oil, balsamic, salt and pepper. Marinate mozzarella in dressing about 30 minutes. Thread tomatoes, basil and mozzarella onto skewers. Arrange on a platter and serve. 
adapted from Skinnytaste 

I hope you had a great ending to your summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment